View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 10:28 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
you're totally allowed to like it.

it would not be my cup of tea, though.

my comment was more an opinion on the unfortunate reality that in many newer cities, there isn't a whole lot of that low-rise pre-war neighborhood style urbanism that is very different from both downtown condo towers and post-war suburban tract housing. it's an "in-between" style of urbanism, and my personal favorite now that i have a family of my own to raise.
fair enough. And, yes, most areas lack something like that.

rewind the clock 5 years before we had kids and that is probably the type of setting we would have imagined ourselves in when we outgrew the condo.

Over the years our vision of what type of neighborhood we would raise our kids in changed drastically. As we got out of our 20's mindset and realized all schools aren't equal...well that changed a lot and narrowed down possible neighborhoods drastically. A huge box that we needed to check off was decent schools. While some central neighborhoods are experiencing a rejuvenation, its not exactly people with toddlers lining up to overpay for some trendy narrow lot infills. Those schools are a long way (if ever) from being fixed. What we zeroed in on was neighbourhoods that have had good schools for multiple generations, with the thinking that other young couples will continue to pay a premium to move into these neighbourhoods and keep the schools desirable.

Even though we have an above average sized house and an above average sized lot....I see us moving into something larger, not smaller if we ever move again.