View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I agree on that front, something is not historic just because it’s old. But to reiterate, I think this is historic because it’s a prime representation of Victorian era housing in one of Chicago’s most historic neighborhoods. It’s part of the fabric of what made Chicago one of the country’s most important boom towns.

And that’s an odd way of looking at it… we have the capability to replace just about any building of the past 200 years. What’s the point of historic preservation then?
Not in a cost effective way we don’t.

We wouldn’t even be able to get hold of hardwoods that are as good as the ones used in the late 19th century.

Any pre-1900 building in Chicago should be protected by default and subject to review before demolition. There aren’t that many of them.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov