View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:13 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
How would they pay to widen the roads?

Eventually we will need overpasses at those roads, whether we widen the road or not. If we widen the road it is going to cost a lot more. Once the Kenaston, and St Mary's Roads have their traffic problems fixed, I'm sure it won't take long to get enough money to pay for those overpasses. Just a 2.5 cent per litre gas tax is able to make $50 million in a year in Manitoba. I'm sure a roundabout interchange won't cost much more than $200 million. So a five cent gas tax + 6 years = Lagimodiere traffic problems fixed for a long time.
Excellent! Now you are talking about actual money not time saved.

Sell a 5 cent gas tax to someone. The province had trouble with a 1% PST increase, do you think they'll go for an additional 5 cents on gas?

Further, this doesn't take into account the fact that when we tax gas, it actually creates a preverse incentive for our province to actually want us to drive more.

Now before anyone wants to hit me (which it may be too late for) I want to say that I don't know the answer to how we should fund infrastructure, all I do know is that our current system is broken.