View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 12:42 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

If you're talking about the existing models/imagery that Google Earth has for existing buildings, then yes, there absolutely is a way to get heights of buildings. You have to measure them using your cursor. I always find the lowest sea level height around the building and subtract that number from the highest height at the building's top. That will give you the height. Google Earth is pretty accurate from what I tell based on comparing it to the actual building elevations we have for some of the buildings. Unfortunately, the imagery doesn't capture spires, antennas or flagpoles too well. The spires on the Marriott aren't even there. There's also a spire in Austin that seems to be shortened as if part of it is missing. And there's a building here with flagpoles on the roof that aren't shown. They also don't show the 1,000+ foot tall tv towers in West Austin, unfortunately. I seem to remember they used to, but not anymore for whatever reason. They do show most larger (bulkier) communication towers in full, like the ones in downtown San Antonio.
You answered my question... using the existing Google building models. I'm a roof height guy, so while the spires and flagpoles are definitely part of the structure as a whole, I'm more interested in knowing the heights of the actual buildings themselves. For instance, I think the height you have for the old Frost building is correct but I don't think anyone here had a definitive answer.