View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:35 AM
Closed account

Count me in as a sedan/hatchback fan too.

While I am disappointed to see the North American automakers retreat from sedans and hatches, I can't say that they ever really appealed to me. The closest one I can think of in recent memory is the Ford Focus (or maybe Ford Fiesta hatch). Aside from a couple of exceptions, the Detroit automakers viewed small sedans and hatches as afterthoughts.

There's still plenty of selection available and I'm sure the workers at the Toyota plant in Cambridge and Honda plant in Alliston are quite happy to hear that Detroit is giving up.

In the short-term, the move away from small cars makes sense for Detroit. Unlike other automakers, they've struggled to profit from the segment. This will help in the short run to improve profitability. The danger lies in the long-term, as sales of expensive vehicles are more prone to decline more precipitously during a recession (see: 2008/09). IMO, Ford is in the best possible position as they still have their designs in Europe that they can import or assemble here if conditions change. Fiat-Chrysler is second, as they have the Fiat connection. GM is the worst of the lot, as they've sold their European operations - the lead time on developing a new vehicle is 3-4 years minimum.

That being said, let the people buy what they want. I still have a soft spot in my heart for an early 2000s Mazda Protege - the only car I still miss. It's a shame that the light, airy sedans and hatches of the late-1990s and early 2000s have bulked up, but hey, cars are far safer than in the past.