View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I agree but why is the choice featureless glass box and faux-historic?

Not sure how the fact that slow growth being the reason the exchange district exists is reason to not care about what is built there. We are fortunate for that quirk of fate, lets take advantage of it.
Oh yes, I'm not suggesting that we should engage in a demolition spree for its own sake. I wouldn't want to return to the 60s when blocks got demolished to make way for new urban renewal projects. I just think it's important that we allow the area to continue to grow organically... if that means filling in a surface parking lot with a boldly modern design, then so be it. I don't want to see the Exchange trapped in an aesthetic jail, sentenced to using nothing but bricks as if it were always 1905.

It's really the Exchange's form that I hold the most dear. The low-slung, very dense streets are something special and if someone wants to build something that takes things further in that direction, then I can get behind it. My preference would be that nothing gets demolished, but the old filling station with large open space in front doesn't strike me as a huge sacrifice.