View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
The "cultural" sphere is an interesting one to look at. We're the biggest concert stop between Calgary and Toronto so people from all over MB and SK, northern ontario and even North Dakota and Minnesota come here to see their favourite artists. We've also gotten some favourable coverage lately in international publications (National Geographic, Vogue). At the risk of riling up rrsklyar I would say the CMHR has put us on the map internationally, at least in certain circles. Thermea is a big destination too. Some of the smug ex-Manitobans-turned-Vancouverites I know seem jealous that Winnipeg has something as cool as Thermea
I mean no disrespect to the cultural scene of either Calgary or Edmonton, but couldn't one consider Winnipeg's cultural sphere to extend all the way to the Rockies? At one time, Winnipeg was the hub of all of Western and Northern Canada (excluding BC), and even though times have changed, especially with both Calgary and Edmonton have exploded past Winnipeg in population, I'm sure Winnipeg's influence at that time has played a role in the cultural development of all Canadian prairie cities.