View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 12:30 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
You sound like my grandfather, who is against any kind of growth and change. He too is stuck in the 1940s, and I have the same argument with him over and over again. I tell him that if you don't like living in a CITY, then he should move to a SMALL TOWN instead of constantly complaining about growth and change.
Your grandfather sounds like an infinitely wise man.

You can't define people's objections away. Maybe that's your idea of a city, but Winnipeg has been a city for a long time without having huge amounts of change and growth. It's not some sort of logical inconsistency to want that to continue, which is essentially what you're arguing. Perhaps Winnipeg is one of those cities with many of the attributes of a small town. It's not immediately required to change everything because someone comes running in with a definition of "city" they've made up and says "no, no...we've been doing it all wrong!" Slow-growth, small-townish cities are cities too.

Quote:
Good thing you have chosen to live in Toronto, Canada's urban sprawling Capital. It's kind of hard to take you seriously about you "concerns" about growth when you choose to live in sprawling megatropolis. To me, that is hypocritical.
Wouldn't my experience in Toronto possibly give me some insight about the supposed desirability of rapid population growth and freeway development?