View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Interesting read about an insecure Ontarian trying to fit in in the Montreal job market.

Sometimes anglos are afraid of applying to jobs in French-speaking environments, mostly due to their own insecurities. They often think their French isn't good enough, or are afraid to use it.

They should still give it a try and try to get out of their comfort zone. I think they don't suspect how positively they're seen if they're making the effort to speak and write French. It doesn't have to be perfect. Colleagues generally appreciate the courage it takes to make the move. There's even a "cool factor" to it. As in "wow, this guy moved from Nova Scotia, managed to learn French and works with us? Impressive".

I know it's stressful in the beginning (I'm from the opposite side of the language-mirror, and a lot of my day is spent in meetings with out-of-Quebec colleagues, in English), but you quickly get use to it, and your language skills improve dramatically.
This is my read also. I consider myself Ontarian since I lived in Ontario and Ottawa most of my life. But as someone who had its childhood in New Brunswick, both my English and French suck. I worked hard to be fluent in both languages but French people think I'm an Anglo and vice-versa.