View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
You are right, I don't get it either.

I think once you become a politician, most people just start to hate you regardless.
Of course. Anytime you get into the public eye you're always going to have a lot of people who absolutely despise you regardless whatever you do. It is the nature of public life.

A lot of people underestimate how hard it is to be a public figure. The door to door salesmen aspect of it (you have to be willing to listen to people slam the door in your face or even potentially deal with physical altercations), the hard bargaining you have to do to get anything of consequence done (even within your own damn party half the time), a million different interests pulling at you at every turn.

Public service is a paradox. While it comes with some power and prestige, it also comes with so much baggage that it takes a lot to want to participate. And often you find most politicians still never achieve the financial success than if they went into the private sector, where you'd achieve financial and personal success without quite so much baggage. I think the nature of politics means a lot of the people that enter aren't always opportunistic, you have to want to do it as there are other, easier options many times for personal fulfillment.

At the end of the day most people who participate do have to maintain a strong willpower to be a part of the system. Anyone can be a critic, we all have opinions, but to actually do something and put yourself out there is something else entirely.

Just look at this forum, the few voices here and our own opinions. Multiply that by tens of millions. Everyone *always* has an opinion and everyone can easily be a critic. Doing something about it? It does take a lot out of you.

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; May 30, 2015 at 3:23 PM.