View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 2:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's the part I don't understand, it would be one thing if the powers that be decided that Blue had its day and it was time to abandon the brand entirely. But that happened only in Canada really, with Blue still being fairly prominent in the rust belt states.

Why abandon it in its backyard but keep pushing it down there? What kind of corporate decision making went into that?
At least here in Quebec (but I suspect elsewhere too) the impact of this pushing Bud and Coors to the front and Labatt and Molson to the back row has been to relegate all of their brands to Lucky Lager/Milwaukee's Best cheap swill status. (Was this the goal?)

I host a lot of pool parties (though not this summer of course) and I can't remember the last time someone brought a Molson's or Labatt's brand to my back deck. People don't bring Blanche de Bruges either, but since we're white collar professionals it's at least a level above what Labatt and Molson are perceived as these days.

Labatt and Molson are what guys like me take on a hunting or fishing trip these days - when you expect to drink lots and lots of beer so you want cheap stuff. There aren't many other occasions any more where we'd have a use for it. Perhaps the post-game beer in the locker room after a late night garage league hockey game?