View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
The problem with baseball is that it's 81 days a summer. Lots of places could support a football team because you have to make the trip 8 times all year. If the team/sport is popular enough, you can do that. Especially if you were only filling a baseball stadium (obviously, the NFL knows that which is why they have venues 3 times as large).

I have no doubt that if, in some hypothetical world, a baseball team played in Salt Lake City like 20-30 times a year, they could pack a stadium. 81 times? Maybe, but it's certainly less likely.
Current MLB teams don't pack their stadiums regularly, look at the Marlins. So why is that an issue? Baseball is all about TV. An SLC team would control all of Utah, some of Idaho and maybe have inroads to Las Vegas (because of the Mormons that live there).

I do agree baseball plays way too many games, it should be a weekend and holiday sport only and play around 80 games. Who has the attention span to pay attention to 162-180 games a year? I'm sure the players don't like playing pretty much EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. either.