View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 5:52 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
main st should be a lrt line all the way from the north perimiter to the south permiter

portage ave should have a lrt also
PROBLEM SOLVED! Articulated buses on major bus routes. Edmonton has them for some of theirs! Just put articulated buses on the 11, 14, 16, 18, 47 and 65

Plus, 50,000 people in St James isnt enough for LRT. I dont know the statistics for Main Street, but it'd be really hard to find any space to keep it at-grade and to make it cheap (except middle of main and making every car owner furious)

Plan for LRT:
Bison (PH2)
Bishop Grandin (PH2)
McGillivary (PH2)
Fort Rouge (PH1)
Osborne (PH1)
Harkness (PH1) all at-grade.

then it would either bridge over main, or tunnel under main to
Union Station (PH1)

after that, it would tunnel (with a spur added on incase of Eastern expansion) and make a left turn around Graham to Winnipeg Square Station (my idea). Around 15,000 office workers are there, and theres skywalk connections to downtown which can be walked in less than 25 minutes to lets say, Portage Place.

Winnipeg Square Station would be the end line, for now anyways. After that, we can steadily acquire funds and build stations in 5-year increments.

Increment one (5 years after Winnipeg Station): Cityplace Station, Bay/Hudson Station, Balmoral/U of W Station, and then a transfer to at-grade to bring it to Arlington Station (around St. Matthews/Arlington)

Increment Two (10 years after Winnipeg Station): Minto Station, Polo Park Station, Airport Station, Red River College Station

After Increment One, start planning for an eastern line. After Increment two, start building it

...And thats my plan