View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 4:22 AM
Fourth and Main

Inmar Headquarters:
I noticed Inmar's headquarters has a video wall wrapped around the stair tower (on the outside!) for everyone to enjoy. They had an animated display running to test it last week. Awesome! I must go there to photograph it. Tech company headquarters are awesome. It also has a performance stage in the lobby, with a massive skylight atrium above it. These companies always have awesome features in their headquarters.

West Fourth Office Tower:

Source: WXII 12 News

Benton Convention Center Expansion:
City leaders are considering the options, with the first phase being a possible $24 million renovation to the existing building. This renovation will increase the space of the facility, modernize it, and also give it a new appearance. Yes, glass up to the sidewalk. We will know more on February 24. The Benton was North Carolina's first convention center in 1969. The original 1969 building is an HOK (Hellmuth, Obata + Kassabaum) design.

Company Looking at Winston-Salem for Big Project?
There is talk a major employer is looking at a site near Caterpillar's new building for a massive operation. No details at this point. It appears as if they are just looking, but they are also very serious. This is something to watch over the next few months. It could be (I'm just guessing based on similar projects) a $100-150 million construction project, with 400-500 jobs? I also noticed one of the nation's largest tech employers is looking at the Winston-Salem area for a new building and possibly hundreds of jobs. I'm not sure if these two stories are connected though, but it's worth watching over the next few months.

Art Donation:
The Hanes family of Winston-Salem gave a painting, from their collection, by Mary Cassatt “Portrait of Madame X Dressed for the Matinée” to the state art museum in memory of R. Philip Hanes. The painting has been exhibited internationally.

LJVM Complex Hockey:
The Federal Hockey League is close to signing a lease at the LJVM Complex for Fall 2014.

Planning Award!
The American Planning Association has awarded Winston-Salem's Legacy 2030 Plan the Daniel Burnham Award for a Comprehensive Plan at the National Planning Excellence Awards. This is the second or third award this anti-sprawl / high density plan has won! Many people don't realize Winston-Salem has such strong anti-sprawl measures in place for the city and neighboring suburbs. Winston-Salem also has farmland protections as well. This is why retailers often must demolish or reuse existing buildings. It's good, since it prevents the city from having vacant big boxes and prevents retailers from creating new retail streets and abandoning their old buildings.

Winston-Salem Cyclist In the News:
Alex Cross, from Mock Orange Bikes in Downtown's West End, is one of the nation's top ranked cyclists and was in the National Cyclocross, where this awesome video was recorded of him. He didn't run his bike up the stairs. He stayed on his bike an pump-hopped up the stairs.

Video Link

National Center for Design Innovation:
Internationally known Bruno Louchouarn is now a part of the CDI in downtown Winston-Salem as a Design Researcher. Louchouarn is a composer and cognitive scientist. Louchouarn studied artificial intelligence in Paris and obtained a Ph.D. in music composition at UCLA. His work includes everything from film scores to live experimental multimedia performances. He is already a Winston-Salem resident, among the city's well-known artists.