View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 2:50 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not an entirely unreasonable question... many of the BRT stations are very isolated. I used to live in Riverview and while I was OK with using the Fort Rouge station at night, I could see it being a somewhat intimidating environment for women and older people.
Osborne and Fort Rouge stations were bad enough. I can only imagine the new ones, late at night... especially if wildlife get into play. Its not like the area is completely void of deer. It's not just a security matter, of being chased at or screamed at by a bunch of methheads... but its also just safety concerns in general. Winnipeg Transit needs to do something about station safety.

Unless the MLCC mentality of "lets sit on our hands and do nothing until someone gets hurt" will prevail with 'rapid transit' safety & security? Granted I've seen surprisingly worse in Calgary... for example, I've never seen WPS run around with M-16s at the bus stop, thats practically overkill lol. But a security presence should be very much on display, around these remote stations.

That, or encourage private investment nearby (24 hour convenient stores and some TOD?) to encourage foot traffic & make it feel a little safer.