View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

Have we ever seen a proper photo of the Tanner Gray Line at Third and Boylston? I seem to remember one but I've searched and searched to no avail. Specifically, I want to know what that neon says. I'm thinking the first two words are "sightseeing" and "limousines" but who knows.

You know, this one:

from those 1955 blimp aerials at usc
Thanks to Beaudry's recent post, it didn't take me too long to figure out where these pictures were taken, although I think the only word that can be confirmed on Tanner sign is "SIGHTSEEING". The photos are dated May 5, 1952. The London buses were taking part in a 12,000 mile tour of the United States and Canada as part of a "Come to Britain" campaign.

USC Digital Library

USC Digital Library

This detail from another picture in the set shows the British bus drivers making tea for their guests. Note the "Brewing Up Kit" bearing the phrase "Let's have a Cup-a-Char!".

Detail of picture at USC Digital Library

The last picture in the set is very similar to the one above, so I've omitted it.

For all the public transport enthusiasts out there, the three buses returned to Britain at the end of the tour. After being exhibited for a while, they entered regular service in 1953. From globallink-travel.com:
A plaque carried inside the buses read:-

This bus was driven by London Transport crews through the United States of America from New York to San Francisco and back, and through the Eastern Provinces of Canada - a journey of 12,000 miles - as part of the 'Come to Britain' campaign of the British Travel and Holidays Association, March - August 1952.
The bus on the left of the pictures above, with the license plate LYR 826, was acquired by a bus museum when it retired from service in 1977. In 2012, to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the North American tour, the bus was restored to its 1952 appearance. The picture below, along with a load of additional information, can be found at londonbusmuseum.com.

Peter Zabek/www.londonbusmuseum.com