View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 8:08 PM

The City is doing its due diligence. Environmental assessments, cost assessments, etc. From everything that I hear it is inevitable that the City will accept the proposal.

This deal is going to cost the city a lot of money. Sure it will save money over time, but there will be an upfront cost, and it will most likely be large. As a City this is not something that can be jumped right into. I wonder if any of the up-in-coming annexations, and aggressiveness of them plays into this at all.

The bottom line, is that it is too good of a deal for the city to pass up,
- get out of costly leases
- acquire much needed space to accommodate growth
- acquire a revenue producing parking garage
- Consolidate departments --> increased productivity
- Sell properties that are costly to maintain and staff
- New development for the downtown area
- and many more smaller benefits.

but they need to have everything in order for when they go public.

Patience +1

There are a lot of other things that might be involved on the city side. A move into Frost bank might include the move of the IT Data Center from Frio. The current building shares a back wall with the SAPD Central Substation. There have talks of replace that structure for over a decade.

The Frio building is a disaster, so the City might be looking at a plan to solve that issue as part of any deal with Weston/Urban. I don't mean that it would be actually part of the deal, but that the city would have to account for that in working out a deal with Weston/Urban.