View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2009, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
Interesting article on the dysfunctional nature of Council.

Once again the flashpoint is a meaningless, entirely symbolic debate about the impending chaos if we were to close 2 lanes of Memorial Drive on a fricking Sunday. I am so utterly fed up with this Council and the constant grandstanding over minor symbolic issues. This is the 3rd largest city in Canada. We have a population as large as Saskatchewan or Manitoba. We spend billions of dollars on infrastructure and services every year...and the folks who dictate where that money goes are arguing over pedestrian bridges, plastic bags and closing Memorial Drive on one Sunday a year.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't mind debates over big-impact, big-dollar projects and issues. It's the political games I can't stand. The $25M bridges expenditure issue dragged on longer, and saw as much council and media attention as solving the routing of the $700M+ WLRT. There's one distinct camp in council (the fantastic four from wards 6, 10, 12, and 13), and another, less tight opposing camp, and some others in the middle. There's 3 groups to blame here though, and the other is the media. Look at me with a straight face and tell me that Rick Bell, Michael Platt, Ian Robinson, Naomi Lakritz, etc. haven't been playing games and trying to wag the dog.

As for the article, I think Hodges' soundbites are spot on.