View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I don't have data on this, but it seems like Asian Americans in L.A. likely live in a surrounding environment that's every bit as Asian as (suburban) Bay Area Asians do. They're just a smaller population of the overall area as there are wider swaths with little Asian representation, while Asians are pretty much everywhere in the Bay Area.
My understanding was that percentage-wise, the Bay Area has a higher percentage of Asians, but in pure numbers, there are more Asians living in Greater LA than in the Bay Area. Per the 2010 Census, the Bay Area has 1.67 million Asians (23.3% of the population), whereas Greater Los Angeles (which comprises LA County, Orange County, the Inland Empire and Ventura County) has 2.19 million Asians (12.3% of the population).

Where Asians live in Greater LA is one thing, but you do see Asians pretty much everywhere while going out and about just like you do in the Bay Area... Asians do, after all, commute to work, go shopping in other areas, go to the beach, and like to hang out in other areas just like everyone else does---including other ethnicities. Which is why it surprises me when some people say that they don't think that LA is all that diverse.

~ Charles Bukowski