View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Agreed. Like I said, the options are there and it's not much of a walk to Westwood Village for many of those highrises.
Westwood Village isn't a cool neighborhood in LA, but it's busy as hell, especially during the week. Alot of office towers in the area and there's friggin buses everywhere.
It acts like a small downtown. It might be the most in need off a subway station than anywhere else in LA. At the moment anyway.
*nostalgic sigh*

Westwood Village used to be cool, hehe back in the 1980s. When I was a teen back then, that's where everyone wanted to hang out. It was like a very lively college town in the middle of the Westside. A lot of young people, and even a nightclub or two. Westwood had way more movie theaters back then than it does now, too, so that also contributed to a lot of crowds. When LA hosted the 1984 Summer Olympics, word was you saw a lot of the athletes partying in Westwood (UCLA served as one of the Olympic Villages). Friday and Saturday nights, they would even close off some of the streets to traffic, and there would be people walking everywhere, and they even had pedicabs to take people everywhere within the village and to some of the parking lots. When I got my drivers license at 16, when I wasn't going to Melrose, I was going to Westwood; you could easily park at the Federal Building and then just walk into Westwood Village. The decline of Westwood started in the 1990s, when what used to be called the "Santa Monica Mall" (a pedestrianized 3rd Street that was done in the 1960s) was redone into the "Third Street Promenade," and more and more people started going there. A much publicized gang shooting that killed a young female innocent bystander in Westwood in the early 90s, plus neighborhood groups that thought Westwood was getting too rowdy, also contributed to Westwood's demise as a hip and happening place.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Aug 28, 2019 at 4:22 PM.