View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:01 PM

I would like to see more detail, but I'm cautiously optimistic based on the initial rendering.

The alien curvature of her work is great for neighborhoods with a lot of architectural experimentation (perfect fit in West Chelsea), but can seem a little out of context in neighborhoods with a more established architectural character (like her proposal for 425 Park, which would have drawn too much attention from modern classics like Lever House nearby). With that in mind, I was a bit worried that we would get an overly bold proposal for a tower that totally disregarded the 5th Ave aesthetic.

This design might actually be a really nice compromise, though.

5th Ave is the height of glamorous architecture in NYC, whether historic beaux-arts structures (the St. Regis, the Crown Building) or sophisticated modern facades (Valentino or the Rolex Building). This tower is certainly very different than anything else on the street, but it seems to echo that same glamour and semi-royal tone with its high arches and what appears to be gold/copper detailing. I think it has a ton of potential.

On a side note, I was completely confused for a moment by the park they rendered on the east side of 5th.