View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I still think the developer needs to activate the corner with a sidewalk cafe for the adjoining restaurant.

The streetscape in all of Streeterville is so damn sterile. I can't think of a single sidewalk cafe, courtyard space, etc for blocks.
^ This is changing, but at a maddeningly slow pace.

Streeterville commands high rent and is getting a lot of development, but the retailers seem hesitant. Look at the Embassy Suites hotel at Grand and Fairbanks: the entire north side of that block (storefronts facing Grand) have not leased out since the building was built perhaps over 10 years ago.

Part of this is the reluctance of retailers, I guess, but I'm wondering what is holding businesses back? There has been so much development in Streeterville and there really is a good amount of foot traffic these days, plus good disposable income. I'm not sure what gives..

With this project, Optima, and others down the pipe, I think it will only be a matter of time before more street retail begins to follow in earnest. The "bones" are already in place, so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q