View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 9:17 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I'm coming around the to the idea of putting it on the San Pedro site. Or at least beginning to think it's the most likely site. Doing some very crude measuring on Google Maps, I think both stadiums could potentially fit there. The Golden1 arena in Sacramento is about 450x450, which easily fits in about 40% of the San Pedro block. Baseball stadiums are a lot more variable, but the new downtown El Paso stadium for example is about 450x600, which could fit in the remainder of the site. You could build a pretty big garage or two across Martin, and Martin itself is a unnecessarily gigantic street that could funnel traffic straight from the garages to the highway.

It's a kind of intriguing site because of the location on San Pedro Creek, and it's a little closer to the center of downtown than the Hemisfair or Alamodome sites. It would also be much closer to the two planned BRT lines. There's also the factor that part of the ownership of the Missions owns the majority of that block, which would probably lead the Missions to lobby for that site.

If the City is serious about colocating the arenas, I'm guessing it's going to come down to the ITC, San Pedro or Alamodome sites. There really isn't anywhere else that's big enough unless you want to condemn a lot of private land (expensive and unpopular). Even the Alamodome site... I think you'd have to demo the Dome to make both fit. And ITC is only theoretically available, UTSA may not want to hand it over. Which leaves San Pedro as potentially the path of least resistance.