View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Um, I'm not sure what you're thinking of. Which alderman? I've always supported new tall narrow buildings in a district of tall narrow buildings. I want them to use the massing, materials, and design vocabulary of Printing House Row, though.

Twenty years ago, as neighbors were making a big stink about a new building adjoining the Trans Bldg to the south, demanding a park, I commented that this parking lot on the east side of Dearborn would actually be the much better place for an urban plaza, since it has the solar exposure, and it could even have one or two levels of subterranean parking beneath, much like San Francisco's Union Square, to help pay for it. But I was never in a setting to suggest that seriously to anyone.
Not sure why I thought that.

Anyway, I understand why hand-laid brick is probably not cost-effective for a highrise like this - nor would it look historic, with a flashing at every floor. But there are certainly materials out there that can evoke the colors and textures of brick at a lower cost. Facade depth is a trickier one, but ideally you'd want some relief at the windows as well so the whole thing doesn't look too slick.