View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheBay View Post
DTLA will never become as completely sterile as Downtown Santa Monica or Downtown Pasadena. Most rich people in the region like to live by the beach or by the mountains, Santa Monica is by the beach and Pasadena is by the mountains. DTLA is surrounded almost entirely by lower income neighborhoods in the basin, and LA's wealthy class in the westside aren't likely to make a huge shift over to DTLA.

What's fueling DTLA's renaissance is the appeal it has on young professionals and artists. Gentrification is necessary to attract a lot of these new residents. With that in mind, there will be those that prefer a mix of safe generic shops and restaurants mixed in with the gritty, hip indie hangouts. I think this should be the goal and is what will likely happen, it doesn't have to be one or the other.
I very much agree. I love going for a nice dinner in the Financial District followed by a raucous night in the Historic Core after a day of shopping at the swapmeets and street vendors in the Toy District for items ranging from Himalayan sea salt lamps to hand woven Nepalese shirts (all at prices far cheaper than anywhere else in the country). This is what makes DTLA so special, its diversity. SF, Manhattan, etc are increasingly becoming homogeneous, and (despite their beautiful architecture and geography) are beginning to resemble the suburbs that surround them.