View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Put it this way; according to the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce; it cost the province $1 million per year, and the net economic benefit was $44.5 million.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...take-1.1180710

There was literally no reason to cut it if the SCoC report is to be believed, as it brought back money nearly 45 times over yearly.
I don't want to turn this into a politics discussion, but this is evidence of a decision based on political dogma vs facts & figures ( a sin parties of all stripes are sometimes guilty of). This is why I was personally so pleasantly surprised that Pallister, a Conservative, has increased the Manitoba tax credit and seems to fully understand and support the film industry.

That being said I'd love to see more provincial support for education in film industry skills. I think producers take note of that kind of commitment from a local government as factor in their long term planning.

As for a new Netflix studio, I know they just built something in Toronto recently, but I don't think that should stop them from considering Winnipeg as well if they see some economic benefit.