View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 3:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
She looks as though she might be ready for a fresh coat of black paint. This is my favorite modern skyscraper ever built. It's pure evil.
Interestingly the JHC is not painted black, its actually a coating applied to the exterior panels via electrolysis. It is essentially a black colored rust induced by running a high current through the metal while it is submerged in a solution of certain ions. Theoretically it never needs to be reapplied or painted and should stay just as black as the day it was zapped for all eternity.

That said, it's pretty clear the building is rather dingy right now and what it really needs is a nice powerwashing to blast all the filth off of it. Does anyone know when the last time they sealed the facade was? These buildings need to be sealed every 50 years or so as the original seals wear out. They usually clean the facade as a part of the process. It's pretty cool how they fix the seals actually. They go into the units and remove the interior panels on the window and they have one guy watch on the inside as another guy on the outside blasts the seals with a power washer. The guy on the inside then looks for any signs of water infiltration and then they cut out and re seal any problematic segments. I saw them do it to 5415 N Sheridan Road while I lived there and that building has a very similar black anodized aluminum curtain wall.