View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:35 PM

^ One of the big the problems is that Chinatown lacks critical mass, and it isn't very visible. As such I think there's less importance attached to making it a presentable place. No heavy hitters in the Chinese community are going to donate a million dollars to a project in an area that's surrounded by vacant lots and run down buildings.

By contrast, Edmonton has a fairly small Chinatown too as far as Chinatowns go, but it does at least dominate a couple of city blocks on 97th with shops and restaurants and as such I think it's taken care of a bit more. Not surprisingly, it manages to draw activity and development. It may not be the hub of the Chinese community anymore there either, but it's still to some extent the face of the community in that city, and as such it is still a bit of a priority.

I guess what it boils down to is that Chinatown feels more like a vestigial part of ye olden days that's slowly fading away than a living, breathing, dynamic part of Winnipeg's ethnocultural makeup.