View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Can someone explain the basics of how this GTH will work, what the real world advantage will be, etc. I'm not questioning the benefit, I'm trying to figure out what exactly it is.
Without going into too much detail, a hub such as the GTH provides a central location where goods can be manufactured or transferred and shipped out to customers.

Quote:
I get the sense it's a big yard and warehouse where plane, train, and trucks will meet up and exchange packages. Which I guess is nice, but what is the enhancement over the current situation? Size? Proximity? Property taxes?

Can they operate 24x7 out of town, but not in the city?
It's still within the city limits, which recently annexed the land. It was put far west to allow it to expand. It has reached its maximum capacity in its current location.

Quote:
The spokesperson describes being able to transfer goods from China to Gulf of Mexico. OK, but wouldn't it be more economic and sensible just to have the goods go from China and land directly on the western shore of Mexico? How does it help to have the goods travel from China to BC, BC to Saskachewan, Saskatchewan to USA, USA to Mexico. All those extra legs seem like extra cost and time and risk.
Hopefully someone else can explain this.

Quote:
Also I was wondering about Loblaws advantage of 'getting goods off the road'. What do they mean by that and how does the GTH factor into it?
Have you seen how much one or two locomotives can haul?