View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 7:10 PM
Meh

Fort Worth is doing a great job with new buildings reflecting the city's architectural past. I would like to see San Antonio do the same. San Antonio already has a great thing going downtown with its architecture. Play to that strength, build on it. Don't worry so much with trying to build more modern buildings. In my opinion the ones that have tried to do that thus far look out of place. More buildings like The Vistana would greatly compliment the older buildings and carry on the tradition of the city's architecture. I just hope that whatever buildings do come along that merely try to mimic that style actually pull it off. Some hotel chains can really mar up old styles. Here in Austin one that comes to mind is a 16-story Hampton Inn & Suites. The building was made to look like a 1920s/30s building, but it just looks cheap. The Vistana on the other hand does look authentic. My only gripe is that parking garage treatment, but that could be alright if they cover it up with vegetation as the rendering shows.

Go here to see a few of Fort Worth's new buildings. Some of these are modern, some aren't. Check out the Carnegie Building. Great design.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=135156