View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:12 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Really? I swear beer was cheaper at the LC than the vendor. They don't display taxes at the LC in the sticker price.

This is one thing I dislike. Government controlling this shit way too much. The effing government "hey your beer is this much cause I said so."

Is it a minimum price? How do say TNSE sell beer for $10 per? Different rules?
It is a government regulated price for retailers. So, essentially, any store that sells liquor in the retail sense can only charge the same predetermined price. What's worse is that there are a handful of standalone stores who sell liquor, and they can only sell the liquor at the dictated price too. This means that if they buy a shipment of whiskey from the government to sell in their store, they can only charge what they're authorized to charge, which means that if a sale is declared on the item, they are compelled to sell the item at a loss since the margins are pretty low due to tax.

Places that serve alcohol also have price controls, more in the sense of having a minimum price on a drink. So technically you are by law compelled to keep your prices above a certain threshold. You run afoul the law if you try to have a sale on beer. My guess is whenever a place has a special on a certain type of drink, they're selling close to the absolute minimum dictated by the law.

It's a completely fucked up system
Federalist #10, James Madison