View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 12:50 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I'd love to have enough time to read all of that thesis, that person seemed to get their hands on some rare/old news articles from the first construction boom around the 70s. I'll be the first to admit that I may be glad that the Trizec proposal wasn't approved: can you imagine how out of proportion everything else would have looked? Nothing else of that magnitude would have ever been built and looked quite weird.

Or it could have started a huge skyscraper renascence for St. John's that would make other cities of our size jealous.
There's quite a list of newspaper articles there with dates, if someone had the time and interest they look them up in the archives. Also mentioned are articles from the 90's about the further proposed expansion of Atantic Place.

There were other proposals that were not mentioned there at all, and some that were, like the proposals for the large site on Longs Hill/Harvey Road for which there was a 12 storey residential proposal. It partially explains how rezoning resulted in the demolition of the old school, and why the site has sat there empty for so long.