Thread: Badass Churches
View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The crystal cathedral ain't part of the catholic church. it's part of the Reformed Church in America, a mainline protestant denomination with about 256,000 adherents.
I can see why someone might mistake the Crystal Cathedral for being a Catholic church by the name. In Catholic terminology, a cathedral is the main/home base church of a diocese or archdiocese, the church the bishop or archbishop calls "home." I think many Americans (being that most Americans are Protestant of course) think of a cathedral as being any large church structure, often in the Gothic style.

Incidentally, a Catholic church or cathedral can be in any architectural style, you'll just see Catholic elements within it, like candles, kneelers, maybe some side chapels, religious art, etc. You see none of that in the interior of the Crystal Cathedral.

I don't know if it's the case but it seems to me that other Christian sects'/denominations' church buildings must adhere to a certain style, like Eastern Orthodox churches seem to all have the same look and proportions, as do Mormon churches and Armenian Apostolic churches.

I didn't know that the Crystal Cathedral was a mainline Protestant church. I always assumed it was started by a televangelist.

~ Charles Bukowski