Thread: Art Deco!
View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2006, 9:29 PM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

Art Deco!

post pics of your favorites, the best your city has to offer, or overlooked gems:

A few of my picks out of what I consider the best architectural style for skyscrapers:

Carbide & Carbon Building, Michigan Ave, Chicago. Green brick and 24k gold on the crown. According to legend the architects got the idea from a champagne bottle:

Eastern Columbia Building, Broadway, Los Angeles: blue terra cotta!

American International Building (70 Pine Street), NYC Financial District:

The Deco is in the Details: model of the building carved into the limestone entrance facade, and lamps, in aluminum:

can you spot the now-closed obervation deck? Imagine the penthouses you could get, with those terraces, if this building was converted to residential. It's 952 feet to the tip of the flagpole:

Cushman liked it, back when it was the tallest building downtown:

The Hotel Carlyle, Madison Avenue, Upper East Side NYC; google wasn't returning a lot of pics, but it really does stand out at night, seen from Central Park:

The GE Building (570 Lexington Avenue): behind St. Bart's, across the street from the Waldorf=Astoria:

might have the most interesting crown of any skyscraper- gothic tracery reinterpreted as radio waves:

this building drips with detail:

"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Last edited by LostInTheZone; Sep 13, 2006 at 4:53 AM.