View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 11:17 AM
Hong Kong

Finding a good activity on the weekend without the crowds is quite difficult. Many have hit the hiking trails or outlying islands. I didn't want to invest in a yacht and sail to an empty piece of real estate in the sea so I turned to a forgotten historic squatter slum for inspiration.

Originally a Hakka settlement, many of Cha Kwo Ling's residents worked at the granite quarry from the mid 19th century to the 1940s. It was one of 4 old villages in Kowloon, of which only 2 have survived. As the city grew around it, this place seemed to have stopped in time. Today, it is just a short walk from Laguna City, a highrise residential area where a 500 square foot apartment can cost USD $1 million.

Much of the population left in the 90s for public housing, and the village is slated for redevelopment although there are new immigrants from China living in the squatter homes.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-chakwoling.htm