View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:56 PM

When I shop in the Stavanger Drive area I usually ask the workers if they noticed a difference since Costco left. I was shopping at Old Navy this morning and I asked the cashier and she said that for the first couple of days it was slower but after that it was business as usual. She said that the new mall location will be a smaller store and that Stavanger will be the main store for St. John's.

Also, when I was at Marshall's I asked the same question and the cashier said that they don't get as many early morning shoppers, but overall there has not been a drop in business from his standpoint. He said that the company told them that they expected and was prepared for a drop in sales once Costco moved, as they decided to open in that location even though they knew Costco was moving. He said that the company said that the store is staying.

I also had lunch at Cora's and asked if they noticed any difference. The server said that there is a slight drop in very early morning customers, but not enough to affect staffing, but later in the day is actually busier. She said that they are expecting that they may have to add staff when Exxon moves in next door.

I asked at Michael's and a manager told me that it was the plan for some time now for Michael's to have an East and West end location.

Finally, as part of my conversation at Old Navy, they told me that the talk is that Giant Tiger has purchased 48,000 sqft in the old Target building. She said it was only a rumour but that is the talk. For what it is worth!

PS - I asked a manager at Wal Mart if they noticed a difference since Costco left, she laughed and jokingly asked 'Is Costco moved?'