View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've never been to Milwaukee, but looking on population density maps, almost all of the hyper-dense tracts (15,000+ PPSM) are in Latino neighborhoods on the southern side of the city. The built vernacular there isn't incredibly urban. It looks like lots of cottage-style detached wood framed structures with a few larger homes mixed in. Many of them are split into two-units, and it looks like in some cases there might be houses in the alleys. But overall, I'm guessing the relatively high population densities come from a mixture of minimal urban blight (e.g., very few vacant lots or abandoned buildings) and a high number of people per household.

If other Midwestern cities besides Chicago and Milwaukee experienced substantial Hispanic migration, we'd probably see unusually dense neighborhoods of this sort in them as well.
Not sure I get what the point of this is... refuting Milwaukee's density? Calling into question it's "urbanism" based on housing type?

My thoughts...

The numbers speak for themselves in terms of densely-populated tracts.

"Urban" vernacular does not directly translate as "attached rowhouses made of brick".

And so what if many of the densely-populated tracts are populated mainly by Latinos? Do those denisty figures require an asterisk or something because of that?