View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 4:23 PM

Contest aims to find out why people love living in Regina By TAYLOR SHIRE, Leader-Post January 21, 2011 Comments (6)
•Story•Photos ( 1 )
The Regina Regional Opportunities Commission (RROC) is putting on a contest to find out why people love living in Regina.Photograph by: Bryan Schlosser, Leader-Post filesREGINA — Why do you live in Regina?

The Regina Regional Opportunities Commission (RROC) is putting on a contest to find the answer to that question.

"We wanted to just hear why people love living in Regina," said Heather Saylor with the RROC.

The RROC wants to promote Regina and show other people that the city has a lot to offer.

Saylor said they have only received three entries, and she is hoping more people will enter.

"If the community doesn't want to do this," she said, "then well, maybe we need to rethink another way to engage them and share our story with the rest of the world."

But Saylor said she has received some good feedback from people who have responded. She said the biggest thing people mention is the quality of life, the amount of volunteerism, and the friendliness of people.

And for the most part, people out and about on Friday morning agreed.

"It's my home city and I love it," said Mary Ann Thompson. "It's small, people are friendly and you can get anywhere in a matter of minutes. This is my favourite place to be."

"It's a nice community," added Geeta Brahmania, who has been here for 24 years. "My work is here, my family is here, (and) schooling is good for my kids."

"The people in Regina are so friendly," said Claudette Masse, who just moved to Regina a year ago with her husband. "Coming from a big city like Calgary, it wasn't as personable as being here. As soon as we moved in, the neighbours were there to welcome us and it's just something you don't have in the great big city."

"I've enjoyed it here," added Ken Dorsch, who has been here for 40 years. "I don't mind going on holidays some place else, but I'm always anxious to come back here."

The contest is slated to close on Jan. 31, but the RROC may extend it. Prizes will be awarded to the best submissions.

To enter, email a written testimonial, or send photos or videos to communications@reginaroc.com. To view entries, visit www.reginaroc.com.

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/Contest+ai...#ixzz1BmXEmpnL