View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 10:09 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion3 View Post
I ski alongside friends who are snowboarders. Many of them are decent people, but I must ask, why do so many snowboarders like to plunk their asses down on the middle of the hill wherever the hell they feel like, regardless of their surroundings?
I'm a skier but from what I've seen with snowboarding, it's just the nature of the sport. Unlike us, where falls are somewhat rare (and often spectacular!), falling down on a board is just the inevitable result of a stop. It would be nice if more of them learned to pull over to the side when they do this, but I almost think many stay in the middle of a run on purpose - so that they're clearly visible from above, and also to keep the sides clear. I've noticed boarders really love to carve up the steep walls of a narrow run so they probably think they're doing everyone a favour by not blocking that area. They're possibly also expecting their buddy to shoot out from the trees above their head.

Also it's just more common for boarders to stop and rest, hang out, smoke a joint, whatever. I'm not among the strongest of skiers yet so on longer runs I often take a break or two - and I'm just about the only skier doing this. Boarders take breaks, skiers don't, or so I've noticed.

And of course the other place they congregate is at points where runs level out. When boarders don't get up enough speed to get over a crest or even a flat area, they pretty much have to walk. No poles = teh suck. I always know when I need to keep up some speed due to the nice massing of tired boarders congregating at the top of a ridge ahead. Suckers.

I'm just learning to accept their weird ways. Seems like there are more boarders than skiers these days so pretty soon they'll own the slopes once us old farts retire. Hardly anyone under 30 skis anymore.