View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson
Interesting take on this topic. SaskTel Centre has done a remarkable job of sustain a 15,000 seat facility without the benefit of a major anchor tenant (I don't consider the Rush to be an anchor because they only play 9-10 home games per season). If there was a downtown arena in Saskatoon's future I could see potential for an AHL team to move here, though that would likely mean the Blades relocating elsewhere. I think the NHL is a pipe dream, at least as long as Bettman is commish. He's only interested in US markets.

On the other hand, Regina has the benefit currently of a deep-pocketed ownership group in QCPEG ( Semple's, et. al.) with motivation to upgrade or replace the Brandt Centre. I don't see a 15,000 seat arena being needed in Regina though. A modern 9,000-10,000 seater with luxury boxes & amenities would be suitable fir junior hockey, concerts and other events like the Brier.

Of course given current economics, I think the possibility of either city getting a new arena is many years away. But it's fun to speculate
Would the Riders be considered anchor tenants for New Mosaic Stadium in Regina with only 10 games per season there?

Current Brandt Centre if filled in with seats to capacity would be 8,000 seats, I'm not sure spending over $100 million on a new arena with only a thousand more seats than current arena has would make sense.

I don't see new arena's being built in Regina or Saskatoon in the next couple decades either but it also takes a decade or so from inception-to-completion for most facilities so i'm not surprised about talk about new arenas