View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 12:48 AM

http://cdm16003.contentdm.oclc.org/c...id/6293/rec/49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
As for living downtown, I really don't know what more you could ask for. This place is lovely. It has local parking, a sturdy retaining wall, plenty of sunshine and a street lamp for safety at night.. :
When I look at the photos of old Bunker Hill, I'm always amazed by the architecture, yet saddened to know it's all gone. It was more than individual buildings; almost every structure looked to be in perfect context with its surroundings. I know that not all of it could have remained until the present day but I don't think it had to be completely destroyed either. Just as an example, San Diego's downtown is every bit as monolithic as LA's (well, almost), but they've done a far better job at preserving many of the older, smaller buildings in between it all. And look at Bunker Hill now - not exactly the place to be, unless you like walking through empty streets and staring at blank concrete walls. It seems likely that the same resurgences that came to neighborhoods like Echo Park & Silver Lake could have swept through Bunker Hill (maybe even before Echo Park & Silver Lake), had just a few slivers of it remained "human scaled." For all we know, buildings like The Hillcrest or The Fremont would now be converted into lofts, like with the older buildings in the Historic Core. I won't claim to be an expert in urban planning, but it's an interesting thought to consider...