View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
You have to calculate the percentages yourself, but here is the link to the relevant Stats Canada tables:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...abr66h-eng.htm

Here is my quick arithmetic:

Percentage of Total Employment by Public Sector
(% change Nov 2013-Nov 14)

BC 17.5% (+0.9)
AB 16.4% (+1.8)
SK 24.1% (+0.6)
MB 26.3% (+6.2)
ON 19.2% (+0.9)
QC 22.3% (+1.2)

I stopped at QC, but you get the idea. MB and SK have by far the largest public sector workforces in this part of the country. Growth in public sector employment MB over the past year is high to be sure.
To me, cross-provincial comparisons are unreliable because the scope of services varies. But the one glaring question about MB, is why the sudden increase year over year? It is clear that there is new job creation - the bulk of the 9200 jobs in healthcare and education according the the WFP. So shouldn't it be readily apparent where these new jobs are coming from? Are these previously underfilled vacancies that have finally been filled, or are these new positions? Or is it simply that the methodology for reporting these figures has changed somehow?

What are we missing from the picture that accounts for the increased public workforce? Are there new hospitals and schools that have recently opened? New social assistance programs that have been created?