View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I don't think the catchment area is anywhere near that big. Or at least not on a regular basis. Actually a lot of demand beelds to YUL, YYZ and US airports so the demand reflects probably less than a million.
It definitely bleeds a lot to YUL, but our catchment is way bigger than a million. The NCR alone is 1.4 million. Keep in mind that some of YOW’s catchment overlaps with others. Take the 50k people around Cornwall for example. YOW & YUL are within 10 minutes of each other from Cornwall. So if you factor in overlapping markets and Upstate NY (I see NY plates at YOW all the time), arguably as far south as SYR for Canadian domestic and Europe, you could say YOW’s catchment is in the 2 million people ballpark...probably more like 1.8 million with a bit of traffic from beyond that population radius. There’s a bit of a fine line between catchment and leakage (which is what the NCR does in the hundreds of thousands annually to YUL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
I know some people from Kingston who travel extensively for work. You pretty much nailed their flying preferences as well. They use YOW for Canadian destinations usually. US bound and international they use YYZ and YUL using the train to get there. I’ve seen them do sun travel from YUL and YOW.
I’d imagine for transborder, some from Kingston would use SYR too at 2 hours away.