View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 8:23 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
So humble! Just retail? This lot (3001 Chestnut) is the same same size as 1800 Arch!! (Comcast 2, American Commerce Center). There is another lot of the same size, as pointed out above, being 3001 JFK Blvd. I think that's why it's exciting Brandywine RT is in play in this area and they are rumored to hold big ambitions.
This and the 5-Star lots are both owned by Drexel University. 3001 Chestnut is, according to the campus master plan, supposed to be an extension of the engineering school. Specifically, permanent space is needed to house labs that used to be in the building that the Summit replaced, and are now -- temporarily -- in the former Bulletin printing press (3101 Market) -- which itself lies on part of the Innovation District site.

I'll also note that the last time I was in Drexel's Alumni Memorial Hall (the midcentury annex to the main building complex at 3101 Chestnut) it struck me as being more than a little run-down ... in much the same way that Barton Hall was allowed to become run-down for around a whole decade prior to its eventual demolition. Like they're not maintaining the building as well because they're planning on replacing it soon.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)