View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 6:52 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
That's totally true. Skyscrapers over the world are build on a location that is the best. New York suppertalls on the rock, Petronas Towers with foundations of 120m in the bedrock,...

And now the Al Burj or Tall Tower in the middle of the desert, with nothing solid in the ground...
I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but I'll respond as best I can:

Supertalls anywhere, regardless of whether they're on a man-made island or on top of a mountain or whatever, will always be supported by bedrock. Essentially, every piece of steel and concrete transmits forces from the tower down all the way into the bedrock, which is, because of it's enormous size, suitable for handling just about anything we build on top of it. So, whether in New York or Dubai, Chicago or Kuala Lumpur, the tower will have to be connected somehow to the bedrock. If it's right under the surface, it's fairly simple; if it's much deeper (in Chicago, for example, it's like 100 feet below the surface), then large caissons are needed. I have no idea how deep the bedrock is in Dubai, but regardless they will not build the tower on top of sand, as some people here believe.