View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:02 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
An internationally-branded office tower coming to Saskatoon now has a location and a concept plan.

The Saskatoon World Trade Center (WTC), originally announced in March, will be built at the corner of 22nd Street and 3rd Avenue, replacing the former Credit Union office.

The location and plans for the nine-storey building were revealed at a news conference Wednesday morning by Canwest Commercial and Land Corporation.

It's set to feature a main floor restaurant, with a total of 118,401 square feet of rentable space available once the building opens in 2019.

Construction on the privately-funded $50 million project is expected to start this fall.

Former mayor Don Atchison, a consultant with Canwest, wouldn't say how much of the office tower had been rented out yet.

"We're not going to talk about who we're dealing with or what we're doing," he said. "We're still talking to tenants at this point."

He added the building's focus on international trade, and connection to over 320 WTC properties worldwide, will help fill the office space.

"It's purpose-driven," he said. "This will give businesses the opportunity to meet on a grassroot basis with different organizations and businesses all around the world."

The tower will also have an underground parkade with 192 stalls, with eventual plans for a 51-space parking lot to replace the Haultain Building at the corner of 22nd Street and 4th Avenue.

HOMETOWN BOOST
Acquiring the licence to use the WTC brand was made easier by Martin Salloum, the North American director of the WTC Association.\

"This was the very first city, the first developer I met with when I was asked to look after North America,” he said.

"I went to school in Nutana, my family is buried here ... I am very proud.”

Salloum said he's been receiving more calls from Atchison than he has from the other 65 WTCs under his charge.

"He has a lot of ideas and gumption,” he said.

Salloum's family is well-known in Saskatoon, having run a grocery store and restaurant in the past.

Albert Salloum ​— Martin's father — established himself as a business leader after returning from World War II, eventually serving as president of the Chamber of Commerce for 25 years.

Email cvandenbreekel@rawlco.com
Twitter @vandecision
http://ckom.com/article/1698531/loca...d-trade-center