View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 9:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It was a gorgoeus but chilly day in St. John's. The final day of the tax-free sale at all downtown shops - and Armistice Day/Remembrance Day.

Video Link

The intersection of Garrison Hill, Queen's Road, Bond Street, Cathedral Street, Church Hill, New Gower Street, and Long's Hill.

Bright and red on Duckworth Street.

The intersection of Cathedral and Duckworth streets. The two restaurants at right are both quite popular. India Gate, which is obviously Indian food, and Saltwater, which is Newfoundland-Serbian fusion cuisine.

Outside Rocket Bakery on Water Street. This guy's hat is my favourite Republic of NL one I've seen. I love it!

Rocket was, as usual, packed. I love bakeries where you can sit in the bay windows like this family.

The crowd sitting outside The Rocket enjoying the beautiful weather and taking a break from tax-free shopping.

CELEBRITY SIGHTING! The incomparable Jonathan Munro. His father (from Montreal; mother local; he was born and raised here) started the threatre company that led to CODCO and just about every contemporary Newfoundland celebrity. He's one of the world's leading theatre actors (and a former classical pianist who played everywhere, even Carnegie Hall), currently based in NYC.

And, chatted with him - didn't get into politics too much but asked what he loves most about NYC. Then asked if there are any similarities. And he said yes, and that's why he chose NYC over Toronto. He said the people are just as friendly, they're Atlantic, and there's the same "enriching quality of life". So, music to my ears, as you can imagine.

Water Street at the intersection with George Street and Beck's Cove.