View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Nah, just poking fun at your love of suburbia and the idea in this thread that Sandton ranks somewhere up near Boise in terms of importance.
90%+ of Americans live in the suburbs, or suburban districts within the city. True story. We love suburban life so much, that the suburbs are going to absorb the coming 70 million people this century.

Heck millennials love suburbia as well. They're starting to leave the city for the suburbs, reversing a very short lived trend of them flocking to the city. [3rd year in a row of declining 25-39 year olds, although some Sun Belt/West Coast cities, the millennial population is growing].

Millennials Continue to Leave Big Cities
By Janet Adamy and Paul Overberg
Sept. 26, 2019 12:01 am ET

Quote:
Large U.S. cities lost tens of thousands of millennial and younger Gen X residents last year, according to Census figures released Thursday that offer fresh signs of cooling urban growth.

Cities with more than a half million people collectively lost almost 27,000 residents age 25 to 39 in 2018, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of the figures. It was the fourth consecutive year that big cities saw this population of young adults shrink. New York, Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Washington and Portland, Ore., were among those that lost large numbers of residents in this age group.

New York lost almost 38,000 people age 25 to 39 last year, a decline that was roughly twice the size that it experienced each of the previous three years. That drop coincided with the city’s first overall population decline in more than a decade in 2018.

Among the big cities that gained large numbers of young adults were Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Austin, Seattle, Denver and Columbus.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/millenn...es-11569470460

-----

I never ranked Sandton as a Boise or Tempe, it's just that I never heard of it, ever. I had to google map it and even then I was thinking, it must be the wrong Sandton, because how could anybody suggest that this could be 'the next Manhattan'.