View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Yes - because they don't have the power most people think they have. My point is that while the HDRC can help mold or guide a project's design, it is in only limited ways. When a developer comes in with a mindset that "beige is good," the HDRC really can't disapprove it as the city's design guidelines are really basic.

Now, I'm not saying I want them to have MORE power, but I think they get a bad rap too often for things out of their control. I don't always agree with their decisions (especially when I have a personal or professional stake), but I respect their dedication to trying to elevate the level of design in San Antonio.
I think the issue people have is not with HDRC's following guidelines. Their issue is when HDRC does not follow the guidelines and imposes their subjective views on a project based either on their own opinions or because they are swayed by public opinion.

For instance, when a developer follows all of the city's guidelines on a project and should by all rights have the project approved, but HDRC denies approval because some vocal NIMBY members of the neighborhood (and more often non-members) don't like the project for some reason. In that instance, HDRC is not following the guidelines and is instead acting as the arbiter of a popularity contest in contravention of their mission.