View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is the NFL officiating (guys avg $170k + /yr) is far better than cfl officiating ($10K to $15K /yr). Throw in challenge flags and rules whereby a receiver can initiate a penalty on the other team by running into a defender past the 5yd mark and "central command" second guessing the guys on the field inconsistently and its a hot mess. I'm not blaming the guys that are basically doing this for the love of the game and to get their mugs on TV - certainly not doing it to make a living. But you get what you pay for.
Biggest difference between the two leagues is materiality and letting them play ball. CFL still can't consistently call an infraction vs. no infraction never mind materiality.

Your comment above is possibly the worst thing about the CFL. Following a dumb ass penalty to team X. Refs will inevitably try to balance things and start dishing out stupid penalties to team Y to "even it out towards a mean".

Did you see the Cal/Edm game in overtime? Clearly a trapped ball on the conversion and it stood as a catch even after review.

- and no, I don't think the bombers won because of officials - stop being so sensitive. Riders lost because they are a real bad team.
it wasn't clearly trapped at all as you put it. The ball can touch the ground - in this case, the tip of the ball - as long as the receiver appears to be in full possession or control. The receiver appeared to be in full possession of the ball on the replay hence the call on the field stands.

I wouldn't mind if they limited the coaches challenges to certain things and I would like to see elimination of the challenges on pass interference calls. It's unclear what is pass interference and what is not. Heck, I would love it if they were less strict on the PI calls beyond the 5-yards of scrimmage. It makes sense in the NFL without the waggle and smaller field, but not in the CFL with those inherent advantages.

A hand on a receiver while the ball is coming toward them is fine as long as there is no obvious grab of the jersey. Hand-fighting should be allowed if both the receiver and defender are doing it imo.